Along with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna recommendations, the award selection committee on Thursday named 17 players for prestigious Arjuna Awards this year including Laishram Devendro Singh and Oinam Bembem Devi of Manipur.
Devendro Singh is a boxer from Imphal West District, Manipur and competes in light-flyweight division. He represented India at the 2012 London Olympics but lost out in the quarter finals. He missed the 2016 Rio Olympics qualification by a whisker when he won the bronze in the semi-finals of the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) World Qualifying Tournament in Baku.
Oinam Bembem Devi is a female Indian footballer born in Imphal in Manipur. She made her international debut at just the age of 15. Wearing the jersey No 6 for India, she was the captain of the Indian team that emerged winners at the 11th South Asian Games held in Bangladesh, in 2010 and the 2012 SAFF Women’s Championship held in Sri Lanka in the year 2012. She announced her retirement earlier this year at the age of 35.
Here is the list of athletes who’ll be awarded the prestigious Arjuna Awards
1. V J Surekha (Archery),
2. Khushbir Kaur (Athletics),
3. Rajiv Arokia (Athletics),
4. Prasanthi Singh (Basketball),
5. L Devendro Singh (Boxing),
6. Cheteshwar Pujara (Cricket),
7. Harmanpreet Kaur (Cricket),
8. Oinam Bembem Devi (Football),
9. SSP Chawrasia (Golf),
10. S V Sunil (Hockey),
11. Jasvir Singh (Kabaddi),
12. P N Prakash (Shooting),
13. A Amalraj (Table Tennis),
14. Saketh Myneni (Tennis),
15. Satyawart Kadian (Wrestling),
16. Mariyappan Thangavelu (Para-Athlete)
17. Varun Bhati (Para-Athlete)