- A special CBI Court surprisingly acquitted all the accused in Rs 30,000 crore 2G spectrum allocation scam cases on Thursday.
- The judge of Special CBI Court, O P Saini pronounced the judgment and thereby cleared the 19 accused from all the charges
- Raja had his own points and had stunned the court that everyone in the government, including the former prime minister Manmohan Singh, was aware of the process going on
A special CBI Court surprisingly acquitted all the accused in Rs 30,000 crore 2G spectrum allocation scam cases on Thursday. The list includes former telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi. The judge of Special CBI Court, O P Saini pronounced the judgment and thereby cleared the 19 accused from all the charges in the Enforcement Directorate’s money laundering case which falls under the shadow of the 2G scam case.
The defense counsel Vijay Aggarwal spoke to the media after the shocking verdict, “The Court said that the prosecution has miserably failed to prove any of its charges. Thus all accused are acquitted”.
FORMER CBI DIRECTOR NOT HAPPY OVER THE VERDICT
The former CBI Director A P Singh, who led the tasks for the arrests of A Raja and corporates, was clearly not happy and was disappointed to the core after the verdict came out.
A P Singh while speaking to the media said, “I don’t know what happened in the trial but there were clear irregularities in the allotment of the 2G spectrum which we (CBI) pointed out with detailed evidence”.
All of the accused including A. Raja were present for the verdict at the Patiala House courtroom. It has been the high voltage drama and there have been stunning revelations since November 2011, since when the trial in the main 2G suit began.
The other people acquitted by the court other than A. Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi, are former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja ‘s erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra and three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (RADAG) Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair.
The directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani have also been acquitted in the case.
Also, three telecom firms, Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd (STPL), Reliance Telecom Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd, were also accused and now have been freed from the accusitions.
There were three cases before special judge Saini — two that were registered by the CBI and one by the ED. CBI’s first case is the main 2G suit where Raja figures prominently, along with party MP Kanimozhi.
A. Raja was had specific issues to counter. The first one was the advanced the cut-off date. Second, he violated the first-come-first-served policy. Third, he over-looked the eligibility of various companies that lacked prior experiences and fourth, he didn’t revise the entry-fee for the new operators.
Raja had his own points and had stunned the court that everyone in the government, including the former prime minister Manmohan Singh, was aware of the process going on.
A. Raja said during the court trial, “Why would the minister involve outsiders such as the prime minister, the law minister, finance minister, external affairs minister and the solicitor-general of India in the decision-making process if there were a conspiracy?”.
Meanwhile, the DMK supporters have started celebrating in Coimbatore.
— ANI (@ANI) December 21, 2017
The 2G spectrum case had been one of the largest scams of India that caused huge loss to the public exchequer. The scam was related to providing the 2G spectrum license allocations in 2007-08 which, according to a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, caused the loss of Rs. 1.76 lakh crore. The 2G spectrum scam is considered as one of the reasons for the downfall of the UPA Government as well.